sweet potato biscuit MIX
Sweet potato biscuits, made easy. Don’t forget to grab the jam.
Makes 8 biscuits. Adapted from Martha Stewart.
1 bag Sweet Potato Biscuit Mix
6 tbsp. chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces,
plus 2 tbsp. melted butter
3/4 cup sweet potato puree
1/3 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, empty the biscuit mix and whisk together to incorporate all ingredients. With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal, with some pea-sized lumps of butter remaining.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together sweet potato puree, 1 tbsp. melted butter, maple syrup and buttermilk. Stir into flour mixture until combined (do not overmix).
4. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead very gently until dough comes together but is still slightly lumpy, 5 or 6 times. (If dough is too sticky, work in up to 1/4 cup additional flour.) Shape into a disk, and pat to 1” thickness.
5. With a floured 2” cutter, cut out biscuits as close together as possible. Gather together scraps, and repeat to cut out more biscuits (do not reuse scraps more than once).
6. Spray an 8” cake pan and arrange biscuits snugly. Brush tops with remaining melted butter. Bake until golden, 20-24 minutes.